Have you tried the Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe by our guest poster Blissful 55? If you haven’t, you probably should join the thousands that have discovered how wonderful it is. This homemade recipe is cheaper, an BETTER than the store bought stuff. It’s basically the best stuff ever. I really REALLY wish this picture was “scratch and sniff”.
I wanted to a cute way to gift this detergent to friends and family so they could experience it too.
Our talented graphic designer, Heather from Chickabug, created an adorable Laundry Soap gift giving printable. And of course, it’s available to our readers for FREE.
I etched the jars to make them a bit more custom. All you need for this project is
1. Vinyl (use your silhouette or order precut vinyl off Etsy).
2. Etching Cream (you can find this at almost any craft store).
3. Glass Jars I purchased these little glass jars from Hobby Lobby, but any glass container would work. Even small mason jars (or big mason jars if you want to be really nice).
If you have never etched glass, it is surprisingly simply. All you do is take the negative part of the vinyl, not the part you would usually use, at place it directly on the glass you want to etch.
Then simply use a cloth and dab a little glass etching cream over the vinyl.
Wait about 20 minutes and then wash it off. I did multiple jars at once so I could have these Laundry Soap gifts on hand for friends birthdays.
I decided I definitely needed one too, but I needed mine large enough to hold all my detergent in my Laundry room! Using a large glass container, I used the same techniques to create a custom statement piece. Do I dare say my laundry room looks pretty with this added jar?!
I slightly adapted the original Blissful 55 recipe to include Scentsy Washer whiffs. They are out-of-this-world amazing.
Blissful 55's Homemade Laundry Detergent
- 1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax- Found in the detergent aisle
- 1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda- Found in the detergent aisle
- 1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean- Found in the detergent aisle
- 2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap- Found in the detergent aisle (You can also use Fels Naptha)
- 1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda- Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)
- 4 Bottles of Scentsy Washer Whiffs- found online or through a Scentsy Representative (you can also use 2 Bottles of Purex Crystals Fabric Enhancer- Found in the detergent aisle)
- Grate zote soap with cheese grater or food processor.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bucket.
- Use 2 -4 Tablespoons per laundry load.
I’m telling you, the Scentsy Washer Whiffs makes this detergent the best smelling laundry detergent EVER. My favorite scent is Quiver, but they are all incredible.
I like to grate my Zote soap with a zester to make it really really fine. You can also use a cheese grater, a food processor, or melt it in the microwave and crumble it.
This recipe is definitely easiest to mix in a big ole 5 gallon bucket.
Blissful 55 taught us to layer each ingredient and then mix together.
You’ll have laundry detergent for MONTHS. Plus some to share with your friends.
It really is the best, and least expensive detergent option out there. Hop on over to the original post and read over 1,500 comments from readers who have tried this recipe. They have a several helpful tips they’ve learned along the way.
I promise this gift will make someone’s day. It’s unique, it’s useful, and it smells amazing.
You’ll need your LAUNDRY SOAP GIFT GIVING printable for all the gifts you are about to create. Chickabug created them exclusively for HowDoesShe readers for FREE.
With a recipe as fabulous as this, I know you must be dying to know what else Blissful 55 has up their sleeve. Maybe, if we are lucky, we can talk them into doing another guest post for us soon. Until then, head on over to their blog and take a peek around.
Make sure to remember Chickabug for all your party printable needs. Her designs are over the top adorable and she there are over 50 themes to choose from. She is one incredibly talented designer and we are lucky to have her on our team. An extra special thanks to her for designing this free Laundry gift giving printable for HowDoesShe readers.
Like This Post?